- Facebook has 77% of mobile social networking traffic in the United States;1
- 68 percent of American adults use Facebook;2
- 53 percent of Americans use Facebook every day;3
- 45 percent of Americans get news from Facebook;4
- Facebook and Google captured virtually all of the growth in online advertising last year, with Facebook alone grabbing 38 percent of that growth;5
- Facebook and Google control nearly 75 percent of the $73 billion market in digital advertising; 6
- Facebook has 2.01 billion users worldwide, 7 penetrating 26.3 percent of the global population.8
Open Markets Letter to FTC regarding FacebookDear Acting-Chair Ohlhausen: We are writing to request that the Federal Trade Commission conduct a thorough review of Facebook’s dominance in social networking and online advertising; assess the hazards that this dominance poses to commerce and competition, basic democratic institutions, and national security; and issue recommendations on how to address these threats. Until this review […]
October 31, 2017 | by Open Markets
Join the Movement
In America today, wealth and political power are more concentrated than at any point in our country’s history.
The Open Markets Institute, formerly the Open Markets program at New America, was founded to protect liberty and democracy from these extreme -- and growing -- concentrations of private power.
Sign up to stay informed.